History of Uniontown
Excerpt from "History of Stark County, Volume I", by Herbert T.O. Blue
The Village of Uniontown was laid out by Elias Brenner and Thomas Albert, owners and proprietors, in April, 1816, from portions of the northeast and the northwest quarters of section 7, township 12, range 8. Sixty lots were laid out, and immediately offered for sale. A few houses were immediately built, and as many families resided therein.
As early as 1825, George Myers and W.H. Whitney opened a store, and not long afterward secured the location of a post office at the village. It is said that George Guisweit was in with a small stock of goods before these men, which if true, would make him the first merchant in the village. When he first began selling goods is not well known. He peddled his goods all over the surrounding country, which fact secured for him the universal and homely appellation, "Cheap George the peddler." He did not have altogether more than $200 worth of goods, and although a portion of these was sold at his house in the village, the greater portion was peddled as stated. He became known to everybody, who seemed to think that he was a proper subject for their jokes. All was taken in good humor by him, and he was well liked and well patronized; so that, although he sold his goods very low, he contrived to make considerable money. After him came Myers & Whitney, who kept a good country store, and had an extensive trade. Other merchants in the village have been Aultman & Holwick, Samuel Woods, J.B. Woods, D.T. Frank, William Steese, Feather & Glasser, M. & M. Joseph, Woolf & Foust, Stutzman & Price, W.H. Nees & Price.
Charles Brown and Hunsman & Schick were early merchants in Uniontown; John Bolender was a cabinetmaker; John Woolf made spinning wheels and Joseph T. Halloway was the earliest cabinetmaker, beginning his work about the year 1830; Samuel Woods operated a large tannery; he was succeeded by his son J.B. Woods. Charles Glasner and William Motz also operated tanneries; George Winters was a well known manufacturer of hats, having begun this work in the year 1833; C.W. Lane erected a foundry in 1855 for the manufacture of plows, kettles, pots, and skillets. Lane later sold out to H.B. Richards & John Fritch, who increased the size of the shop and the scope of the business. Their products were well known over a large area as were the fine woolen hats made by George Winters in an early day. These manufactured articles gave Uniontown an excellent reputation as a manufacturing center long before the days of the Civil war.
The following doctors have practiced in the neighborhood, while residing in the village: Devaux, Reed, Zollers, Parliman, Weimer, Buchtel, Ashman, Steese, Allen, Hatcher, McConnell, Waldron and Richards.
George Bolinder opened a tavern in about the year 1825, he had for a sign a large blue ball; in 1827, this sign was removed, and an ordinary signboard erected in its place, bearing the date 1827. Other tavern-keepers have been William Wagner, Isaac Statden, Samuel Swinehart, Joseph Dreese, J. W. Creighbaum, John Bender, Leonard Raber, Amos Johnson, James Woolf, Urias Weitman, Enos Fasnocht, and John Leed.
Joseph T. Halloway is said to have been the first postmaster, receiving his appointment about the year 1825.